will clarify blurred images, enhance color and when teamed up with special effects
such as cloning
and artist's-hand finish work, produces an incredible finished product. Below are various samples of restoration and enhancement techniques.
Graphic Enhancement and Artist's Hand
restoration is a combination of software techniques, computer graphic techniques
and the artist's hand. The object is to
recreate the image, logo or photos to their original source quality. Too many conversions to an images looses quality and the
various "end output" can cause images to be blurred, wrong color rendition and complete absence of detail.
following are the "Before and After" images using graphic restoration.
Stanford University: Coronary
and Peripheral Atherectomy Procedure
(See Full Project in "Brochures" above)
|Before (Square)||After (Circles)|
Medical Center, San Francisco: Enhanced imaging for artificial insemination of
By enhancing the original fetal sonogram, Doctors can more easily see healthy growth process
or abnormalities that can save birth defects and foresee miscarriages. This also allows the woman to
decided how to continue with her artificial insemination program.
StemCells, Inc. Research
ad was 5 x 7 and needed to be enlarged to 17 x 22 and then framed to match the
existing wall images. The ad was first created in 2001 and had been
I began by duplicating the image several times and resampled them to a usable format. Then I cropped out the Stem Cell image. First, I reshaped the cell by cloning parts of the hair like particles using the brightest areas. I reshape that particle and placed it onto the image. I repeated this process until all the hair was visible. I did the same with particles from the center of the Stem Cell. Then, I began the process of enhancing the entire reworked image to bring in more brightness and color. I made duplicates of the cell and enhanced them at different hue intensifies, made them into translucent images and melded them together. I blacked out any scratched to the original background, trimmed the borders and created a new frame.
All the copy was retyped so that the image had a first generation of quality.
The logo was also created
in 2001 and there were no files or copies remaining from the original creation.
match the fonts, I noticed that the logo was made up of four different typefaces. This was probably done for
copyright infringement safety rather that for esthetics. Since the logo had been resampled so many times
the blurring cloaked the fonts. I restored the copyright by using the four original fonts. One of the letters
came from a font that is no longer in use, so I hand drew the letter to match. I drew a new graphic (the green image),
and added it to the type.
the corrected file to several different formats so the client would have the proper
quality for the venue
it was directed.
Please see the 3D page for the sculpture that was later created.
This client needed a brochure for her
business and she wanted her photo to appear on the piece. The only recent photo
she had was
from her vacation in Maui. The photos were lacking some polish for this particular project so some enhancement was needed.
To warm up and make friendly the background, the section of the Maui sky was cropped and enlarges from one of the photos.
The client's photo needed much work. It was cropped to eliminate the bareness of the clothing and the background was dropped out
and overlaid onto the Maui sky image. Then to clean up the straggled hair, hand drawn curls of hair were created and filled with cloned areas
of the hair from the photo. This smoothed and filled out the presentation of the hair. A slight transparent mask was cut to fit over the
face to to drop back the Maui humidity, but not too much since the client is promoting a healthy glow product.
images and logo that the client had was from the parent website where she obtained
her training and thus she had no clear
rendition of these elements. Even the parent company had issue with their imaging as well. This meant that the elements would
have to be redrawn by hand and some computer graphic techniques. Some of the elements regained their clarity by simply adding a
black line around the color area to give a crisp edge. Others had to be completely redrawn. Some originals were in black and white
or just outline and the client wanted full color. The client also wanted the skin color to be more "general" and to have more clothing
coverage, along with a knocked our background replaced with the look of foliage.
Bruno Chamber of commerce Business Directory
I have used one of my own pieces of work as a sample of Graphic Restoration. When I decided to use this client's work
for my brochure page, I found that I did not have the the original files on my new computer and I only had this jpeg on a CD.
jpeg had been saved a a low resolution for emailing purposes and when I tried
to Resample the jpeg, things got worse.
I tried to scan the finished sample, but the halftones of the printer piece became more jagged in this reduced size and low resolution web
Internet requirement. I also wanted more of the cover to show for design purposes.
I took a digital picture of the cover
and found that only the photo was somewhat clear, so I redrew the
the cover art, retyped the copy, dropped the digital photo copy in, cropped the spiral binding image on the jpeg and
enhanced its brightness. The jpeg cut off the entire spiral binding, so I cropped the section what was usable and cloned
it together. Then I place it over the redrawn cover art.
did the same for the inside pages, but I had to resample the photos, smooth them
and convert to a higher
resolution so it would hold when reduced back down to 92 DPI for fast loading on the web page. I placed a clean white
background in to clear up and shadows and distortion on the original jpeg.